Monday, January 5, 2009

Day 6- December 5, 2008

We woke up early and took the speed boat back to Hong Kong and checked into our hotel, that was right on the harbor. We were walking to the subway when we stumbled on a church building (which was right across the street from the visa office...I have no clue how we didn't see that before). We went in and realized that they have 2-3 chapels on different floors and then Jake realized this was also the office of the Area Asia Presidency...Jake's old mission president is the Area President. So Jake asked the front desk if we could go and see him. His secretary said he was in a meeting but to try back later.
We then took the subway out to Lantau, which has the worlds largest Buddha statue outdoors. We took a cable car up to the top and then hiked up to statue. I has pretty tired from our week and was exhausted by the time I reached the top.

The stairs up to the statue.


Can you see Jake...he's just a little guy compared to this statue.

There he is!
Jake fits in the palm of his hand.
Statues surrounding the Buddha.
The view from the top.
I have no clue what I was doing.
The ride back down.
Well as you can tell from the picture we went back to the office and headed up to the 10th floor. It was pretty funny because the security people have to put a card in to get us up to that floor. We rode up with some missionaries and they said, "Wow you get to go to the 10th floor. You must be important." Jake told them that Pres. Perkins was his mission president. Then when the elders got off on the 7th floor there were some people waiting to go down and they informed them that we got to go to the "10th" floor. As the door was closing everyone was trying to see who the "important" people in the elevator were.
That night we went to the Ladies market, where I heard about a million times, "You like, you pay more." I got a couple of purses and some scarfs. I got better by the end of the night to sticking to what I wanted to pay. Well that was our trip. We had a lot of fun and loved how clean everything was. It was also nice that we were able to speak English and be understood. So if you are thinking about taking a trip, put Hong Kong on your list.

No comments: